The skin on your face is very important! We use it to represent ourselves everyday. So why not keep it in tip top shape! It's easier than you think, and possible, to keep yourself looking younger for longer.
Skin changes dramatically as you age.
During puberty, when a male’s hormones are kicking into high gear, the body produces more sebum (oil).
However, as men get older, oil production in the skin reduces affecting the elasticity and moisturizers with age-defying ingredients are needed to nourish, hydrate, and help combat the skin’s aging process.
There is no cure for ageing however, there are some preventative measures that may assist you to smooth the visible signs and keep wrinkles under control. For starters you can:
- Moisturise and protect with a good quality lotion or cream.
- Keeping your skin hydrated as this smoothes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- If you have dry skin, this ages quickly and shows wrinkles more, so opt for a slightly richer moisturiser.
- You should apply your moisturiser morning and night to maximise on the benefits.
- There are specialist anti-wrinkle creams and serums designed specifically for men that are also effective in reducing the signs of ageing.
In addition to the above, there are also a number of common sense manoeuvres you should apply to your lifestyle:
- Protect your skin from Ultra Violet (sun) light even in the winter, (see next question). Use a sun cream whenever your face is exposed to the elements.
- Always keep your skin clean
- Smoking is possibly the worst thing you can do to your skin. Not only is it a hazard to your health, it makes you look at least 10 years older!
- Eat a healthy and drink plenty of water as keeping your skin hydrating is good for your skin. Aim for eight large glasses a day.
- Lots of sleep! Get a decent nights kip and try to relax.
- Avoid stress as it really shows on your face and can damage the skin if it continues over a long period.